Travel Bubble Agreement: What It Is and How It Works
Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, international travel has been drastically reduced, and many countries have closed their borders to non-essential travel. However, as time goes on, some countries are beginning to introduce measures to facilitate travel between certain parts of the world. One of these measures is the “travel bubble agreement.”
What is a Travel Bubble Agreement?
A travel bubble agreement is an agreement between two or more countries that allows for the resumption of travel between the countries involved. The agreement involves a set of guidelines and protocols that must be followed by travelers to ensure the safety of both locals and visitors.
In a travel bubble, individuals can travel between countries without being subject to mandatory quarantine or other restrictions. For example, the travel bubble set up between Australia and New Zealand in April 2021 allows for travel without requiring quarantine on either side.
How Does a Travel Bubble Agreement Work?
A travel bubble agreement requires a set of rules to be followed by travelers to ensure the safety of both locals and visitors. The guidelines usually include:
1. Pre-departure testing: Travelers must undergo a COVID-19 test before departing for their destination.
2. Proof of vaccination: Many travel bubble agreements require individuals to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
3. Contact tracing: Travelers are required to provide their contact details to the authorities in both countries to make sure they can be traced if necessary.
4. Quarantine-free travel: The agreement allows for quarantine-free travel within the bubble countries, so travelers do not need to isolate upon arrival.
5. Monitoring and testing: Travelers must undergo monitoring and testing by authorities during their stay in the destination country.
Benefits of Travel Bubble Agreements
A travel bubble agreement can be beneficial for both countries involved. The benefits of a travel bubble agreement include:
1. Economic benefits: The travel and tourism industry has been hit hard by the pandemic, and the resumption of travel between countries can provide a much-needed boost to the economy.
2. Reunite families: Travel bubble agreements can help to reunite families who have been separated due to travel restrictions.
3. International education: Travel bubble agreements can enable international students to travel to their study destinations without facing quarantine or other restrictions.
4. Boost morale: The ability to travel again can provide a much-needed boost to morale for people who have been stuck at home for long periods.
Travel bubble agreements offer a glimmer of hope for travelers who have been waiting for a way to travel internationally again. As more countries begin to establish travel bubble agreements, it is important to keep in mind the guidelines and protocols that need to be followed to ensure the safety of all involved. With the right precautions in place, travel can once again become a possibility for many.